Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchmaking changes

Pilots,

We hope you enjoyed the game last weekend and some minor technical issues (which every game deals with sometimes) still let you have a good time on our Birthday.

Today we want to talk about one of the long-expected changes to the game. As you could already guess, it’s our new system of matchmaking.

You could have already noticed some changes in the game. And you are right. We always work on improvements of the matchmaking system. We find it very important as it has a direct influence on the game experience of every single player.
    During last week we were turning on some new algorithms, which let us analyze the results and make significant changes. By the weekend we realized that the new system was ready to replace the old one. The results that we got and your positive feedback helped us make the decision.

But even more importantly, we will continue working on the matchmaking system. We’re collecting the data, analyzing the statistics and still working on some elements. We really hope you will like our matchmaking system and we will be improving it until you're completely satisfied.
    We also want you to know that now your team may be fulfilled with the players from the nearest rank group. It will only happen in case there are not enough players of your rank to make a team.

Please, try it out and tell us your opinion on the new matchmaking system. After all, our main goal is to bring you the game experience that you will truly enjoy.

See you on the battlefields!
    WWR team

I am not sure who was giving you great feedback on the new matchmaking system, I saw lots of thanks and approvals for the Birthday event. The new matchmaking system is not balanced, fair, or an improvement on what was in place previously. The only people I see who benefit are the top-tier clans who now have even more fodder. Trying to solo as a mid-tier player will usually get you killed and result in large amounts of silver being lost. You want to entice people to play MORE right? What you have done is the opposite.

I am going to steal Mr. Reid's comments from your Facebook page, i think he is 100% correct here, and his thoughts are worth sharing here as well.

Mark Reid Speaking for myself, I think all of us just one want thing - to know roughly what the "tiering" formula is based on. It would certainly help us plan our hangars. For me, I am trying to build to lineups - a group of level 4-5 bots with level 10 or higher weapons, and a lineup of level 2-3 bots with weapons level nine or under. I'm hoping that will give me a top lineup and a middle lineup. But if having level 9 weapons automatically places you in the top tier, then, by knowing this before hand, I might stop my leveling at level 8, rather than wasting my time upgrading and upgrading.

Comment

Thank you very much for the Post and keeping the community informed. Personally tho, all I've experienced from the new matchmaking is that I'm consistently playing against stronger robots than I previously was. And I used to find games in 10-20 secs but now it takes 45-80 secs on average to search for a game. Can you elaborate more on what the Rank criteria is? Thank you.

Comment

My clan mates and I find the new matchmaking system very unbalanced, we have been playing for less than 2 months, we use robots lvl 2-3, and weapons lvl 7-9, a few at 10. We are constantly facing teams with maxed out robots and weapons. I enjoy a challenge and fare competition, but it's ridiculous facing teams that much stronger. I can't tell u how many times we face off vs cnt, vox, or some other top clan. It's getting to the point, my clan mates are suggesting we just quit whenever we see a team we shouldn't be matched up against. I prefer the old matching system, where at least I knew what the boundaries were, if I wanted to move into a higher lvl of play I could. Happy Hunting

Comment

I don't find this new matchmaking system an improvement. It is completely all over the place with what I'll face during the next match. My friends and I have been playing for about 2 months and enjoyed the teir system you had in place. At least with the old system we knew where we stood and what we'd face. With this new system I've had a Fury 1 shot my lvl 3 Gepard..... not a situation I'd call a good change to your game.

Comment

*facepalm* When people said they wanted the matchmaker improving they were asking for a matchmaker that took into account a players average robots/equipment level, the players skill level based off of their average win ratio and damage ratio and then matched them up with similar players. For this sort of game a 4 tiered matchmaker is flawed, moving the boundaries between tiers does nothing other than anger the players who've got used to and understand the current system.

Comment

this is normal matchmaking? needs more adjustments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mr_Anonymous
                Mr_Anonymous commented
                Editing a comment
                This actually looks about right. You had some players quit, but even with that, your team had 2 of the top 3 scores, and likely would have won if not for Sky Net on the other team obviously stealing beacons left and right.

Tempest fugit! Thanks IvoryBuk for dev efforts to maximize matchmaking for us all. Matchmaking is still more good than bad & I can't imagine the complexity of the algorithm you must use to do it. Please keep listening and supporting all tier players - especially the entry level & mid level tiers as they are the future of this great game. Kahuna-Dae Jedi

Comment

IvoryBuk: I do not envy your task. Please remember that you can NEVER satisfy everyone, yet it IS important to try to serve the majority of your players. I can't begin to understand all of the elements you must have to take into consideration in your matchmaking algorithm. Add to that the complexity of the mix of players asking to 'play' in WWR. My experience to date has been mixed as has been with the other commenters in this thread. I happily take the bad with the good - when I find my blue team in a mismatch, I make the best of it with one or two bots in my hanger assignment & take my lumps; generally, however, I find that I see a plethora of 'Pilots' and you don't know what you are getting there! I have found many 'Pilots' to be experienced players with mid to high level hangers of bots playing incognito. So the bottom line is for me that I have no idea what I am getting myself in to when I see 'Pilots' pop up on the blue team (much less the red enemy team). After all is said and done, I still find the game to be much better than in the past save the cheaters who continue to mar this great game with unfair hacks & indestructible bots in play (see other's comments in Clans chatter). To be honest, I am one of the longtime players who plays generally with maxed out bots, so I suffer less than those who commented above before me. But, it is true that a maxed out bot can be easily defeated by skillful tactics. I routinely see agile Cossacks take out maxed out heavies! All it takes is the belief that you can do it and employing effective tactics. Thank you for all your efforts to meet the needs of your players- we look for the next update of this rapidly evolving game. Kang-Dae Jedi

Comment

What a bunch of lies. Who where these people who were giving positive feedback on this new matchmaking? It's so bad I been getting so unfair groups it's getting so upsetting. 6 vs 4 is not even and the players are not even gunned. Why they think players with maxed out weapons with ones who die with one shot is even? I don't know who they been taking to. They made it so much worse, I liked the old way much better. They got it all wrong and are making up lies to make it seems they been working on something new.

Comment

One of the issues im seeing a lot of now is I tend to play against the same people -every- single -game- It's not the whole team but a couple guys will always be on the other team like 5 games in a row. Are there only like 13 ppl playing WWR or does the matchmaking algorithm need more diversity.

Comment

H Angel: You are a demented juvenile ranting twit! You have no idea how to communicate except in your narcissistic self-centered manner which impresses no one! Your "exemplary manner" of 'excellent' play gives evidence that you are in great demand by all of the Clans for your Devine presence. Possibly you should concentrate your benevolent guidance and invaluable support to those needing your magnificence who play Candy Crunch or Donkey Kong! Gain friends & influence others by your actions and not by your vociferous purple prose. Kang-Dae Jedi

Comment

New matchmaking seems awesome during busier times of day, but in the morning or during the day here it is pretty bad. Id say 80% of my games one team is down by at least 1-2 bots ( usually mine ). the games that are better matched it seems like one team has players with only 2-3 slots, so one team ends up in a 4v2 or so situation.

This is a perfect example of what kind of crap i have to deal with during the day :/ Not only is it 6vs4, making it hard enough to win, but im also matched with completely useless teammates.

Comment

• Mr_Anonymous
                          Mr_Anonymous commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's possible the someone wanted to play with limited time, saw the bot selection of his team, and wanted to save 6 minutes of their life and try another battle. So they didn't drop their robot in. If you don't like the matchup, or your teammates, just leave the battle and try another one. It's efficient use of your time.

• nerdatron
                          nerdatron commented
                          Editing a comment
                          True, but I guess I don't like being the guy that abandons their teammates

• Mr_Anonymous
                          Mr_Anonymous commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No one does, but unfortunately you are financially rewarded for doing so. Tack on a 200,000 silver penalty for quitting, and that will change things in a hurry.

Hello IvoryBuk, Please tell the rest of the team, that I am a huge fan of your game and appreciate your efforts to constantly seek improvements by seeking feedback from your players. I have been playing walking war robots for at least a month now and am very impressed with this game. I personally recommended it to 2 of my friends within the first week of playing, and they have also become addicted to WWR. Being able to link via Game Center w my friends has provided us with hours of fun and entertainment. Please understand that there will always be some inertia to change, and the reluctance to change outside one's comfort zone is to be expected. In talking to my friends, we learned that the tiers we formerly played in were based heavily on the levels of our bots and weapons, and not on the number of slots we had or our skill levels. Each of us had different slots unlocked, and one of us chose to focus his upgrades on only one bot. This put him in a higher ranked tier, and when we played together, all 3 of us would be pulled into the higher tier and our bots and weapons were outclassed. It showed that skill and tactics were necessary to compete at that level with the bots that we had. This was fair in our minds, because if he were dropped to a lower tier, he would surely dominate the field. It forced me to focus on gameplay, and not rely on my bots' upgrades. For example, instead of going head to head against a stronger bot in a duel, I would have to follow someone to team up against a stronger bot, or use my teammate as a shield or distraction while getting my shots in. I had more slots available in my hangar, and elected to spread out my upgrades amongst my bots and weapons. This allowed me to gain more experience at a lower tier than my other friends. It meant more wins and more gold when I played solo. I suppose my friends could have bought entry level bots and weapons to drop back into the new player tier to pad their stats and earn gold while upgrading their "competitive" bots, but they elected to compete at the tier they were assigned. Regarding the new matchmaking system, I suspect that it is not as heavily biased towards upgrades or damage points. I suspect it is based on a win-loss-total games played ratio combined with the former matchmaking system. I like it and feel it is fair. In my mind, this will allow long time players to want to try new bots and weapons, instead of sticking with the tried and true. It also allows casual players to hone their skills at a comfortable pace and not feel left behind by the arms race. The challenge of live opponents is ever present for those that seek to adapt and overcome. I feel the matchmaking system is like the rest of the game, now. Better Balanced. It almost forces players to have a better rounded hangar to suit multiple scenarios, rather than allowing them to be a big fish in a small pond. The change is good. There is no more hiding experience and skill level behind the level of your bots and weapons. Some long time players like their hammers and see only nails. The new matchmaking system will frustrate these players because you gave them nuts and bolts and they are upset they don't know which is better for the situation... Pliers or a wrench? The new players will know "lefty loosey, righty tighty" and understand the flexibility of being able to both fasten and unfasten is ultimately better. The one thing that I have on my wish list is based on a question. If I leave the match before selecting a bot on the initial spawn, do the other players see my ID in the game summary? If the answer is yes, then we all know that the matchmaking system did not glitch out and setup up a one sided battle. We would all know that the smaller team has hot bots and winning records. We would all know it is worth playing on, because perhaps the new algorithm might actually take into account that some players may only have one or two slots in their hangar and others have five. If the answer is no, then a lot of players are answering phone calls and not being held accountable to the rest of the people in that match. I have seen match summaries that show 0 points, 0 bots killed, 0 bots destroyed for some players. I am not sure if this signifies that a player ditched the game before selecting a bot, or if "something went wrong" and connection was dropped, or if they canceled just as the match was being made, or something else. I am also unsure if a player loses connection during a match, if they are credited with any points, kills, etc. or if his ID is removed from the game summary like his bot was removed from the match. I am not sure if 0 points, 0 bots killed, 1 bot destroyed means that a player ditched the game before selecting a bot, as well as playing and dying once. There are 2 things on my wish list for the development team. One is to penalize players who leave a match without playing at least one bot by locking them out of the next match for the duration of the match they just left. At least the other players on the team will know if another pilot ditched the game, and they might get a chance at seeing them again on the battlefield soon. The other one is to allow us to watch others play without being a player in that match. Hopefully, this will allow players to upgrade their skills and tactics by learning from others, plus see what mistakes and pitfalls to avoid by seeing what does not win. Besides... What good is a time out, if the one being penalized doesn't learn anything? No chatroom necessary in a game like this. Actions speak louder than words. Again, kudos to u for letting me play a game like this with nuances like elevations and the ability to jump, and working out the ping and lack of lag time on a mobile device with players of all ages from around the globe.

Comment

• AwwYeah
                          AwwYeah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I played a few games with you this morning. : )

• Exterminator17
                          Exterminator17 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Personally I know I'm toast if my wife calls because the game kills my bot during the call. If the call is long enough then I've lost not just the bot but the match as well. I use a 6+ instead of an iPad.

Wow, KeeB! This one took me a while. We are delighted to hear that our players are eager to accept any challenge as it is all about gaming, to fight and to win. However, we are making the game for both who like hardcore gaming and those who does not. So It makes us much concerned about the matchmaking and puts a difficult task before us. We want to make it enjoyable for everyone. The changes that are being made at the moment are exactly these steps, that will finally lead us to what we and our players expect from it. We are still working on it and your feedback lets us understand what exactly we have to do next.

There are still some minor disappointing glitches that are to be fixed and you have my word, they will be. Still, make sure the connection you use while playing is stable enough. This will guarantee that the game will work properly. Thank y'all for understanding!

Comment

Working...
                        X